Monday, January 25, 2010

Ode to Southtown

I love you.
No seriously, I do.
And I don’t mean that in the typical, “let’s drink twenty beers, wrap our shoulders around each other and laugh about how great we are” Sense of the term…
I love you. Because of you I am
For better or worse,
Who I am. Who I have become.
You are the sea-formed rocks that laid the foundation
For the building that was to become me,
Is.
And I know I haven’t been true,
I was young, scared
Wanted to try different things
But I came back, again
And again.
And again.
Even though you have no depth to speak of,
Your sandy roots only run so deep
My misplaced love for you will stand the test of your oceanic tide
That beats relentlessly against the crags of our relationship.
Sadly though,
Given some very little time,
You will forget me easily as if you never knew me to be of any consequence,
Live out your repeating days not ever knowing
How you made this boy a Man.

No comments: